Friday, April 16, 2010

A 40 hour work week = Win



Above is the first 40 hours this month, not counting rakeback/bonuses. I measured it this way to make it feel like I have a "real" job. It's very funny to think about how different my life would be if I was still doing a job that was unfulfilling and menial (imo). 10 years ago I figured I would be married with a house, kids and a 9-5 office job by now but I am very happy with how my life has turned out to this point.

I know I talk and compare poker to a normal job a lot but it comes up in discussions with other poker players so much. It's normally in the context of "I used to do this job for X amount and wanted to kill myself blah blah". I guess it's just the excitement and joy from doing something you love and it seems so ridiculous to do anything else for an income at this point in my life. I hope to ultimately transition into a trader, maybe day trader maybe not, as the concepts and risk aversion are very similar. I enjoy reading and following the market and research in my spare time so I can definitely see myself investing over the next few years and 5-10 years down the road only doing that and playing poker for fun.

Moving home will be a good experience as my good friends in Indianapolis are having their wedding reception in early May, my cousin is getting married in early June, then there will be big parties around the 4th of July and I'm sure more things will continue to pop up to keep the boredom at home to a minimum. It should also allow for me to devote a lot of time to poker as well, with minimal distractions and help get all aspects of life in order. I'm very curious what I will be saying about "home" 3 months from now. I hope I am still enjoying it as there are enough quality people around to make things fun. It will also be interesting because I haven't been home for an extended period of time for almost 4 years. I kinda feel like that person in the movie that goes off to the big city and has to go back home for some reason.

I'm enjoying my last few weeks here in SD. Joey got tickets to the Padres vs Braves game last night which was pretty fun. Petco park is cool and down town SD is really nice to begin with. I'm still not sure if I will start my journey home late next week or the following week. I'm not in a big hurry and am just trying to enjoy the last few things I can before I move.

I'm gonna continue grinding it out in very minimal stress games and hopefully keep running and playing well.

2 comments: