Friday, March 19, 2010

Moving home for the summer

Well after much thought over the past couple months I have decided to move home for this summer for many reasons. The first being that my step father had a heart attack a few months ago and things have been rough for my parents. So moving home to help them out as much as I can is the least I could do. Just helping out with the little things and being around to see my mom will help. My mom has missed me greatly so I am looking forward to spending time with her as well.

I have also had a couple bad months in a row with poker. I'm not talking negative losing months, I still haven't had a losing month and wouldn't expect to have one until I start playing upper small stakes or mid stakes. I have just had about 3 months in a row where my expected income, income I had and was starting to make regularly, cut in half. This would have been alright had I not been retarded earlier in life and racked up a bunch of credit card debt. I ran up a lot of credit debt just trying to hang with the people and do the things that I thought mattered in life and now that I'm a little older I recognize that those were very bad decisions and have to pay for them, every month now later in life. So, moving home to pay things off over the next 6-8 months is the main goal as I am planning to move back out here and live with an old college roommate and some others in the fall.

Another major reason is the current climate of online poker. http://www.pokernews.com/news/2010/03/no-more-delays-for-the-uigea-8051.htm. This has been in the back of my mind since moving out here but the bill was delayed until June 1st 2010 therefore allowing for some breathing room. Basically all the bill will do is make it harder for recreational players to deposit money online. That still isn't the biggest worry however. The bill is aimed at business accounts, not personal checking/banking accounts. The big worry is that banks will start to over block and enforce these regulations on the average checking account therefore making it very hard for me to withdraw my winnings. Again these regulations go into effect June 1st therefore being at home and not having ~10-15k in living expenses over my head is probably the smart thing to do for the time being.

One of the best things I love about poker is that I can just pick up and move wherever as long as I have an internet connection. Ever since I moved from Indianapolis, I have really slimmed down on the things I have to move as I was pretty sure I would be moving again after I got out here. So I haven't really purchased any furniture. It's kind of nice though. I made a choice after leaving Indianapolis to shed alot of the things that don't really matter in life. I am very happy leading a simple life and just having the necessities. That being said I have an excellent computer set up for poker but I still don't have a bed. This isn't a bad thing either. I consciously told myself I wasn't going to get a bed and other furniture until I found a permanent place to settle down again. I still haven't found that place. I love southern California very much and hope to settle down here in the near future.

At first I was very depressed and sad at the notion of moving home but after much thought it really is the best move for me and my future. I embrace moving home and really helping out and getting ahead in my own life as well. Also my main goal is to move back out here to Huntington Beach in the fall around October. That should provide a good amount of time to help get things right in all parts of my life.

3 comments:

  1. good luck on the move. i recently moved from california to new york to be close to my wifes family, but we are planning to move again in hopefully the next few months either to cali, but thinking more Vegas!!! and get a condo or townhome out there since its pretty cheap compared to southern cali.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate the kind words Gold. Sorry I haven't been on aim or talkative lately, just going through a really rough patch so haven't been up to chatting etc...

    I def love southern Cali and plan to make it my home at some point in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris -
    Seriously, what is wrong with these people?? LOL ;-)
    Glad to hear you're being a good son and moving home to help your Mom, afterall - she did carry you for 9 months and wreck her girlish figure for you... teehee! No, really I am proud of you for not letting foolish pride keep you in Cali when it doesn't make sense for you! Kudos! Best of luck and give us a call when you're back so we can get together!

    ReplyDelete