Sunday, October 11, 2009

+~5k day yesterday

Yesterday was the normal Saturday afternoon Supernova vip freerolls at stars. I have played in these for probably 8 months or so and almost every week since I became supernova. I normally end up losing a flip or 70/30 and getting busted around 800-1100th place every week, until yesterday. I ran good in one tournament finally!!!! Well thats not totally true, I final tabled another freeroll in March and got 6th for like $600 something.

I ran normal all the way up to inside 35 people. I won all the flips I needed to up to this point and was the short stack until I was dealt J2s under the gun. I open shoved and Lilholdem (MTT pro) called me with K9 or K7 and I somehow flopped two pair and double up. One hand passed and then I'm in the SB and Lilholdem is on the button and shoves when it folds around to him, I call with K9 and he has K7 and I hold....weee more chips. Then when I'm on the button it folds around to Chad (Lilholdem) and he ships in his whole stack and I call with Kx and hold again and quadruple through him and knock him out. This left me with around ~100k chips and in ~16th place with 31 people left.

I had already made the decision once I got within 100 people I was playing for the final table or busting just because the pay increase was not that drastic and the difference between 117th and 27th was ~$50, which means very little for me, especially given my current situation with wanting to move. Hence, me shoving J2s and calling Lilholdems all ins because I needed to gather chips plus his range of hands in all these situations was SUPER wide. I won another huge hand with about ~18 people left to put me 3rd in chips. I got my QQ in against AQ for a little over a 300k pot and it held. At this point I made the decision to coast into the final table.

1st paid 12.1k and 9th paid 817.50. I came in around 4th or 5th in chips and made the decision to just hold out while others got knocked out. 3 people got knocked out and I was 4th in chips out of 6 people. We started discussing a chop of the prize pool per chip counts. I was all for this because if I got knocked out 6th I would get $2700 but if I took a chop I would get a couple k more due to my chip count. After much discussion I ended up getting ~$4850 in the deal which I was pretty happy with. I would have liked to get a couple hundred more but I was definitely happy with the deal.

This was a huge boost not only financially but mentally as well as I have been struggling for some reason the past month and a half. This also could not have come at a better time with my plans to move to San Diego which will now come to fruition within ~2 weeks most likely. It's amazing to think that ~5k is a life changing amount of money but it is.

As far as poker goes, I will probably make 50nl my game for awhile and try and make a few k there over the next month or so and then hopefully start taking 100nl shots within a couple months when my bankroll can handle it. I will get the 2k milestone bonus this month as well as at least the $650 bonus and maybe the $1500 bonus instead which will put me around a +$10k month. Again, this tourney score could not have come at a better time and I am really excited about moving,playing and moving up in the limits.

Poker is such a sick game sometimes, I love it!

4 comments: