Friday, January 29, 2010

Almost the end of the month



Since last week I have continued to only play 50nl FR and have continued to do well. I had a little breakeven stretch in there where I was absolutely card dead but managed to run ~$300 above ev in one session. Interestingly enough I still ended down about $150 that session. I have managed to run like god the past 3-4 days and it feels nice for once. It's kind of funny because at the beginning of the month when I was ~15 buyins below ev I was bitching and within 2 or 3 sessions I got it all back. I understand why so many say not focus on the EV aspect of the game but it is very hard to do sometimes.

I am fully into my workout schedule now. I think I am somewhere around 2 weeks and have worked out every day except 2, I believe. I have started lifting earlier in the day, normally with Joey and then getting my cardio in later at night. The past two days I have really stepped it up and ran for 45 minutes and 1 hour. Granted it's on the elliptical but if I run on the treadmill it kills my knees, old soccer injuries. It's still all good though because I've been burning 500+ calories a cardio session so I'm happy. Running for 45 minutes to an hour doesn't seem that long either. I just plug my headphones into the tv and go and the time flies by. I am trying to hit the weights a little harder now that my body has gotten a little more used to lifting again.

I have a few goals in mind with my recent semi-workout obsession.
1) I wanted to get into shape. I was eating fast food and sleeping alot and starting to put on some extra weight.
2) It's a great way to get out of the apartment and do something with my life. I work 4-8 hours a day so there is really no reason why I shouldn't at least get into shape.
3) I knew it would help me overall with poker. This ties in with 1 & 2. By eating healthier and getting into shape it helps me focus on poker much better. I am also sleeping much better and only 6-8 hours a night anymore, with no naps.

Overall all these things add up and make me a much happier person. As a poker player it easy to fall into the groove where you just eat sleep poker. Eating healthier and working out has helped clear my mind and just helped me enjoy life and be much happier in general. I think its a big advantage to wake up in the morning and be ready to go and look forward to the different things throughout the day, rather than just go along with them and complain how much something sucks.

I'm gonna continue to grind out smaller sessions and booking wins. My coach and I have plans for me to start shot taking 100 within the next week or so. I am pretty excited for that and my good results at 50 have helped give me confidence. I'll grind out the last couple of days of the month and then wrap up January.

No comments:

Post a Comment