Friday, January 1, 2010

2009 is in the bag




This is the past ~12 days of 50nl. Pretty sure I've figured some things out and pretty confident I can continue to fix leaks, get better and continue to crush while moving up.


My first year of playing poker for a living is officially over. I really feel as though I have come a long way from the beginning of the year. Not just with poker but with life in general. I was able to move out of Indianapolis out here to San Diego. I couldn't be much happier, despite being further from family. The move has been hard for my mom but I try and reassure her that it was the best thing for me to do, which she supports whole heartedly because shes amazing.

My last few months in Indianapolis were somewhat cancerous to me as a person. It's hard to put into words how and why Indy was getting bad but San Diego has been nothing but top notch. Moving out here and starting fresh was exactly what I needed. I have been able to meet a few really good poker players/guys and have enjoyed every minute here so far. My head is clear for the first time in years, maybe since college. Poker is so mentally strenuous that it is very important to keep other life stresses to a minimum because if you don't they boil over into poker which can be disastrous. It's also very beneficial living with someone else who plays poker for a living. We understand what its like to go through the ups and downs as well as discuss strategy and have the same interests.

Its kind of funny looking back on my first year and comparing it to an entry level corporate job. I put in some hard work, got my name out, started making connections and the future looks so promising its ridiculous.

I fell short of my 2009 goals by about $10k profit. I also fell about 80k vpps short of my vip goals. Again, with moving and all the shit that went on in Indy the last few months I'm happy considering the circumstances. On the positive side though, I survived my first year playing for a living with a few struggles along the way but I was able to make ends meet and somehow manage to move to San Diego and I couldn't be happier at the moment.

Looking forward to 2010 my goals are:

Make $100,000 from poker
400k vpps (Vip points from Pokerstars)
Earn 100k vpps by the end of March/early April
Continue to beat 50nl for at least 4ptbbs
Become a 100nl reg within the next month or two
Be taking shots at 200 and 400nl by the end of the year
Get out of debt with the exception of 1 college loan
Go home and see family whenever I want
Travel to at least 1 country overseas, most likely 3 or 4 countries
Find a true balance in life with poker and girls, if it exists
Have my first +10k month
Buy a new car, sorry Sandy The Saab but I need a new ride
Continue exploring San Diego and further up the West Coast
Enjoy life!!!

2 comments:

  1. Man with all that traveling when are you going to play poker?!? :) Haha, I need to figure out some resolutions I guess....they won't be as grand as yours, but I can live vicariously through you :)

    I like reading your blog even though I don't understand the nl, vpps, ptbbs talk :)

    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Kayla. I try and explain some of the poker stuff so people like yourself can understand it. I'll try doing a better job from now on.

    I set some lofty goals to help push myself. Also, I can play poker anywhere in the world with an internet connection also. But I definietly want to get overseas and experience the girls......I mean different cultures.

    I would say strive to be the best mom you can be, but Im sure you are already an amazing mother!

    Happy new year to you and the fam as well, Jayden and Justin??? (sorry if im wrong, im an idiot afterall ;) ).

    ReplyDelete