Sunday, January 17, 2010

Theology and The Apocolypse

I am gonna try and focus on various other things over my next few posts besides poker. That being said, poker has been ok at best. I have logged about 90 hours so far this month but am really striving for 250 hours and at least 5k in profit so we will see how it goes.

I have always found myself being fascinated with Theology and recently The Apocalypse ideas that are becoming more popular. As far as Theology goes I would technically be classified as an Atheist, but not the Devil worshiping, sacrificial lamb kind. The word Atheism originated from the Greek word "atheos" which meant "without gods" (thanks wikipedia). I feel as though "without gods" is still a somewhat loose wording of what I truly believe in. I do not believe in the typical white whispy-beareded God that many Christians/Catholics believe in nor any one specific god-like figure for that matter.

In all honesty if I believe in anything that would be considered "god-like" it would be the belief of alien life forms and the possible intervention throughout human history. I believe the world has been visited and continues to be visited by some sort of alien life forms. I think this is probably why people pray to the sky or at least how it started as worshiping to the "heavens". It makes logical sense to me considering anatomically alike humans have been around for ~200,000 years whereas the Bible and the Torah have been around for ~2-3000+ years.

Without getting into too many religious beliefs and argument/debate starters I brought up my atheism for a reason. I would like to go back to school at some point in my life and Theology has always been a top candidate, the other being finance. I think the world's varying opinions on the different aspects of religion are fascinating and would be a great experience to travel the world and discuss the world's many religions and beliefs systems with people from many different cultures. I also think I would be able to provide open and interesting research since I don't believe in a specific religion.

The Apocalypse ideas have also really fascinated me as of late. I don't know why an impending doom would really captivate my interest so much but it does. I think the varying ideas that the world will end on December 21st, 2012 exceptionally interesting. I think its the interest of so many people that actually fascinate me. The desire or urge for humans to believe in things we can not control or do not know the answer to is semi-perplexing to me. I guess that is why Science fiction is so popular, I am a very big fan of Sci-Fi and feel as though it is good excercise for the mind to wonder about all the what if scenarios. I think it helps breed creativity as well as way of evolving our thought and problem solving processes as a society.

I do believe the date does hold some sort of significance but I am unsure of what kind of significance it may be. Will it be a solar flare that scorches most of the planet, or a polar shift that plunged the Earth into another ice age, will it simply mean the ending of the Long Count Mayan Calendar resulting in the next step in human enlightenment or perhaps nothing at all and fall by the wayside such as the Y2K fears??

Overall I think Theology and The Apocalypse fears go together. I feel like it is just human nature to believe in the unknown or things that can not be proven 100% fact. Maybe it's just because it peaks our curiosity or because it allows us as individuals to believe in something that empowers us that can't be proven wrong or taken away from us directly?

Some of these ideas have been on my mind, so I decided to regurgitate them into some sort of organized fashion. I am also currently working on an article/poo-bah type post dealing with The Entrapanurial Spirit and Poker. It will probably take me awhile as I want it to be really well put together but I'm probably going to be writing more non poker stuff for awhile.

Im at 10k vpps on the month and only up just under 1k cash so I need to get on my horse and work ~150 hours the remainder of the month.

2 comments:

  1. Good read Dash, interesting stuff. I'm pretty sure that at the least, something significant will happen around the end of 2012 as a result of people's anticipation - sort of a self fulfilling prophecy.

    Y2K kind of fell by the wayside because people weren't sitting beside their computer with a baseball bat waiting to trash it the second before midnight or something stupid. 2012 could be a different story due to people's fear and anticipation if nothing else - trying to pre-emptively make something happen.

    I'm at 10k vpps too. Back to work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to brag or anything but 30k vpps, back at school though :(

    Edit: Okay maybe it's a little brag

    ReplyDelete